CITB Health and Safety Test

CITB Health and Safety Test

The CITB Health and Safety Test aims to increase your awareness of health, safety and environmental issues. The test is required for CPCS, NPORS, and CSCS Cards.

Each test consists of 50 multiple-choice questions and lasts up to 45 minutes. There are different tests to meet the needs of different trades and professions.

You can book a CITB Health and Safety Test at our Wokingham Centre but make sure you choose the right one and prepare for the test. Each test costs £60+VAT. 

Each test consists of 50 multiple-choice questions and lasts up to 45 minutes.

Please ensure that you have passed the relevant test within the last 2 years when applying for or renewing any skills card.

The minimum pass mark for all CITB Health and Safety tests is 45 out of 50.

Health & Safety Awareness

Health and safety is relevant to all businesses, particularly those in the construction-industry. If you are an employer or self-employed, you are responsible for the health, safety and welfare of yourself and others around you. This includes employees, casual or part time workers, trainees, customers and members of the public.

Our CSCS Green Card Course is an entry-level qualification designed to give individuals, such as labourers, basic awareness of health and safety in a construction environment. 

Health and Safety Awareness Courses are wide ranging and help keep you safe on site. The Health and Safety Awareness Courses can be used in combination with the HSE Labourers Test for a Green Labourers Card. HSE Operatives Test can be used in conjunction with technical tests for Red Plant Operator Cards and there are many more card combinations out there.

We can help you gain a range of CSCS card types. Check out our range of NVQ courses or contact us for further information.

Health & Safety law

All workers have a right to work in places where risks to their health and safety are properly controlled. Health and safety is about stopping you getting hurt at work or ill through work. Your employer is responsible for health and safety, but you must help.

You can get advice on fire safety from the Fire and Rescue Services or your workplace fire officer.

Find out more about your employment rights at

1) Follow the training you have received when using any work items your employer has given you.

2) Take reasonable care of your own and other people’s health and safety.

3) Co-operate with your employer on health and safety.

4) Tell someone (your employer, supervisor, or health and safety representative) if you think the work or inadequate precautions are putting anyone’s health and safety at serious risk.

1) Decide what could harm you in your job and the precautions to stop it. This is part of risk assessment.

2) In a way you can understand, explain how risks will be controlled and tell you who is responsible
for this.

3) Consult and work with you and your health and safety representatives in protecting everyone from
harm in the workplace.

4) Free of charge, give you the health and safety training you need to do your job.

5) Free of charge, provide you with any equipment and protective clothing you need, and ensure it is properly looked after.

6) Provide toilets, washing facilities and drinking water.

7) Provide adequate first-aid facilities.

8) Report major injuries and fatalities at work to our Incident Contact Centre: 0345 300 9923. Report other injuries, diseases and dangerous incidents online at

9) Have insurance that covers you in case you get hurt at work or ill through work. Display a hard copy or electronic copy of the current insurance certificate where you can easily read it.

10) Work with any other employers or contractors sharing the workplace or providing employees (such as agency workers), so that everyone’s health and safety is protected.

1) If you are worried about health and safety in your workplace, talk to your employer, supervisor, or health and safety representative.


2) You can also look at our website for general information about health and safety at work.


3) If, after talking with your employer you are still worried, you can find the address of your local enforcing authority for health and safety and the Employment Medical Advisory Service via HSE’s website:

The CSCS Labourer Card, known as the CSCS Green Card, allows individuals access to construction sites for general labour work.

This is an entry-level qualification aimed at individuals beginning their construction career, not for those in a skilled occupation.

Although not a legal requirement, many employers require their labourers to hold a CSCS Green Card for safety reasons.

This reassures them that their workers have the basic knowledge and training to keep themselves and others safe on-site.

To achieve the CSCS Green Card, you must pass:

CITB Health and Safety Test for Operatives

• NVQ Level 1: Health and Safety in a Construction Environment

These are included in our CSCS Green Card Course for £200+VAT. Once complete, you can apply for your CSCS Green Card online.

Alternatively, we can apply for your card for a fee of £50+VAT.

The CSCS Green Card lasts for 5 years from the date of issue.

If you have completed the NVQ Level 1, simply re-take the CITB Health and Safety Test to re-apply for your CSCS Green Card.

Enquire using the form below. Please keep in mind that the more available dates you provide us with, the more likely we are able to fit you onto a course. We do not run courses on Sunday.

Enquire Now